Note: These Mindfulness Moments are short reflective exercises that encourage us to pause in our day and notice our self and our surroundings with practiced attention. All of these ideas are ones I’ve learned along the way in my study of mindfulness, and many more are available at length if you just do a little digging. These are just examples. I recommend moving slowly through each step. There is no need for hurry here.
(Photo credit: Nicola Gladwell)
- Sit or stand comfortably.
- Beginning with your forehead, scan each part of your body by drawing all of your attention to that place.
- Notice each sensation you are experiencing one at a time, and release any tension found present in your body.
- Notice any signals your body may be trying to give you – are you thirsty or feeling stiff, for example?
- Focus all of your attention to your present moment, letting go of thoughts and distractions, bringing yourself repeatedly back (without judgement) to the sensations you are experiencing.
- Stay in this moment, breathing calmly, for as long as you are comfortable.
- Take this sense of awareness with you as you continue your day.